Flag day

Flag day

Students in school would not be unfamiliar with being asked to volunteer their time for flag day - whichever organizations that may be calling out for help.

I was driving past an MRT station on my way to the church and as I stopped at the junction waiting for the traffic light to turn green, my attention was fixated at a girl holding a tin-can standing on the pavement, just outside the MRT station. Her body language did not really portray enthusiasm to what she was doing, as she waited quite "boringly" for some passerby that she can approach during the morning of a weekday.

She was fairly fortunate to encounter a man coming along her way. The man paused for a moment, seemingly in a short conversation with her, before putting some money into the tin-can.

Well, obviously I could not hear the conversation that went on, but I reckoned he could have asked the girl the cause of what she was helping in - ie. perhaps what the organization is, or perhaps where the money will go to or who it will bless, or perhaps a brief introduction of the cause of the organizatoin.

As I pondered on the possibilities of the questions, I begin to ask myself if the students who chose to volunteer for such services (perhaps they "volunteer" because of the points they need to clock/accumulate) actually make an effort to find out more about the organization and its cause from which they are representing to solicit public donations.

In the same way, as followers of our Lord Jesus, do we really believe in the person and the mission of our Lord? Or do we know to the slighest details what we are doing when we are challenged to walk the streets to show His love and win souls?

I, for one, "dread" passing by people holding tin-cans that look the least interested in what they are doing (ie. just holding out the tin-can and put it before your face as you walk past), and it makes me wonder how people also "dread" passing by us Christians who seemed the least interested to talk about our Savior and His cause ...

Hmmm... food for thoughts ...

Comments

Popular Posts