Miracle Maker

Miracle Maker

Who says miracles aren't seen today? If we look closer with our eyes, and see them with our hearts, they are actually all around us. It has been a long time since I last blogged - guess work has somehow kept me away from regular maintenance of the blog, on top of concern in exercising more caution in expressing what I want to say via www - I definitely would not want some views or sentiments I expressed to be taken as controversial, causing some unnecessary outburst.

I've decided however, that I just need to blog again for what has happened -not just as a journal to record what has happened lately, but also to give praise, thanks and glory to my Almighty God - the miracle Maker!

Some colleagues and friends knew that my mum had a fall in the middle of this month and here I really want to thank every single one of them for being understanding and accomodating, especially when I needed to take time off to attend to her, visit her in the hospital, etc.

Even though it was an unfortunate accident, but the hand of God was clearly weaving through in the entire episode. Let me recount it here:-

1) The fall happened on 16 Aug morning at around 10.15am. My helper called my mobile and I could answer it immediately and rushed home to attend to things. My first thanksgiving item is that if I were to be at my workdesk, that is one area where my mobile reception is really weak - she wouldn't have been able to get me at all!! It so happened that day that I was in another location in the school, together with a group of praying parents.

2) Mum's fall was because she was trying to sit on a chair, and her right side was at the edge of the chair, and her left side was in mid-air. Being older and more frail, the first reaction to a lack of support around is definitely a succumbing to the force of gravity. She landed on the floor in a sitting position, injuring the bones at the left hip area. When I rushed home, she was rather immobile as any movement would cause pain because of a slight protrusion of the bone (as shown by the x-ray taken). Her head was like 1 to 2 inch away from the metal bar where the sliding door latched on to. If this is not a miracle, tell me what that is ... In an attempt and a reaction to the shock of the fall, my mum could have just leaned back and knock her head onto the metal bar. Those who are familiar with neurology will know the implication to any hit on the head, especially for the elderly. Need I say more?

3) I called for an ambulance and had her sent to TTSH (since she had a similiar surgery 2.5 years ago on the right hip area due to a similiar kind of fall). TTSH checked on her and suggested we had her transferred to NUH where her medical records are. TTSH dare not take the risk of surgery on her for fear of possible complications that may arise during surgery because of her hypertension and chronic kidney failure. I had an ex-CG member who work in TTSH and in my moments of panic as to which is the wiser option, I called for his help and he was available to attend to my call, and came immediately to speak to the A&E doctor for clarifications. With his endorsement that the TTSH doctors had advised wisely, an ambulance was arranged for the transfer of hospital.

4) This doctor friend of mine informed his brother, who is a cardiologist in NUH, and whom my mum has been seeing for years for her hypertension condition, and he went to visit my mum at the ward and arranged for a heart scan for her to ensure that her heart condition is fit enough to take the surgery. Another testimony of God's hand at work.

5) When the surgery date and time was confirmed, there were many people praying for my mum (church staff, church leaders, CG friends, colleagues, friends, etc). The operation was successful and she was wheeled into High Dependency Ward by Friday (20 Aug) afternoon. She was weak and tired from the effects of anesthesia so when Pastor L visited her, she was still groggy. By late afternoon/early evening, she was already feeling hungry and asking for food. Those who had gone through surgery and under the effects of GA will know what GA can do upon consumption of food before the effects totally wear off. For an elderly leady of 78, my mum felt hungry, and could finish the entire bowl of porridge given to her, with no nauseous feelings.

6) She was kept in High D ward for about a day after surgery to monitor her condition, and was running a slight temperature in the evening. Thank God again for allowing her body temperature to resume to a normal one, and by the next day afternoon, she was rather chirpy and could finish a full lunch. Her surgeon came by when she was having her lunch and said that the operation was successful, and he was amazed at her good appetite and chirpiness =) Later that afternoon, the physiotherapist came by and moved her from the bed to be seated onto a chair - something that she had not done for a week as she simply had to be bed-bound. My mum could sit for hours, and that was rather amazing because the therapist commented that bed-bound patients will usually feel giddy and easily tired when moved from the bed to a chair. By evening, she was transferred to a normal ward.

7) By Tues, 24 Aug, she was allowed to be discharged back home. Before her discharge, the physiotherapist had taught me and my helper some simple exercise movements, and how to help her walk with the aid of a walking frame. We could see that when in the hospital, my mum was rather reluctant, and afraid to walk (confidence level reduced greatly in any elderly after they experienced a fall) and would urge us to stop and for her to sit. When we brought her back home, her ability to take more steps than before, and her will power suddenly came alive again!! Well, maybe she knew she just had to do it ... maybe she knew she would choose mobility over being immobile ... whatever that may be, I believed the Lord is working in her to strengthen her feeble limbs to move.

8) Rehabilitation program - for someone who had a fall, especially an elderly, the hospital would recommend a suitable rehab program for them. The original arrangement was for day rehab at a center in the West - well, near to the hospital, but so far to my house that is in the north-east! In a second attempt to look for a suitable rehab centre, the hospital found one near my place, and in fact, opposite where I'm working =) ... this is a sessional rehab program, probably 2 hours per session, and maybe for twice a week. This is something I know my mum would definitely be pleased with - coz day rehab means staying in a center for almost a full day, and she "hated" being somewhere else besides home, of course hospital stay aside.

My mum is still resting and in the process of recovery, but as I recount on the entire episode, I cannot deny that it is God, my miracle Maker at work, that everything just falls into the right places, and the pieces fitting in perfectly together.

Who says miracles don't happen in these days? They do, if you look closely with your heart, and with your eyes. And when that happened, give the glory due to the One who enabled it!!

Comments

Popular Posts